So I haven’t written about my birth experience. But I wanted to share what I packed in my Hospital bags and what I actually used.
In preparing for the hospital I spent so much time on Pinterest and Read boards trying to figure out exactly what I needed to pack in my hospital bag. After reading what seemed to be 100s of blogs I came up with my check lists.
I decided the best way to do it was to pack to separate bags- one for the labor and delivery part of my stay, and one for the recovery part of my stay. That way I wasn’t moving too much stuff across the hospital during my stay. I could leave my recovery bag in the car until I was moved.
So here is what was in my Labor and Delivery Bag:
- Essential Oils and Diffuser. I brought Peppermint, Lemon, Orange, Lavender, and Young Living’s Gentle Baby Oils. I also brought a blend I made in a roller bottle that is supposed to help support Labor and can be applied to the flex points on your inner ankles. Even though I am very open to and will likely use medications in my labor process, I also wanted to supplement with natural means as well. I did use my diffuser, but I only diffused Gentle Baby during labor. It was honestly too much to think to change scents. So pick a favorite and stick to that
- Camera and Charger. I definitely want some pictures of when I first meet her and so I have my camera so my mom can capture some of those moments for me. My camera definitely got used, but not enough to need the charger since it was fully charged. More pictures were taken on my phone and my moms.
- Cell phone and charger. If I am given the opportunity hopefully I will be able to talk to my hubby throughout some of the process.
- DVDs to distract myself. This was definitely helpful at the beginning, but after a certain point I was in too much pain to pay any attention to it and turned it off.
- A robe and slippers. This will allow me to walk around during labor without exposing myself. Didn’t use this in labor but definitely came in handy during recovery.
- A sports bra to wear in the shower if I decide to labor in the shower at all. Couldn’t get out of bed.
- Vasaline for my lips. I’ve read labor can really dry your lips out. A definite YES!
- Face wipes. I bought the Neutrogena Grapefruit face wipes. For me they have a ver cooling effect and will be refreshing. Another Definite YES!
In my Recovery Bag:
- I will keep my slippers and Robe with me in my recovery room from my L&D bag
- I will also keep my diffuser especially to difuse Gentle Baby in my recovery Room. I will also have another roller ball blend of Fennel and Clary Sage to help my milk come in.
- Multiple sleep nursing bras I just wore one nursing night gown the whole time since I was only in recovery room one night.
- Nursing night gowns
- Granny Panties to wear on the way home So glad I had these to wear home. I wore them over the mesh undies to keep them in place!
- Toiletries so I can shower Never showered
- A dark colored towel- I bought the cheapest one I could find a Target so when it gets ruined, I won’t mind
- Boppy Pillow So helpful in my sleepless state to start nursing
- Pillow from home Loved having my own pillow
- Milk Makers Tea and Granola Bars
- Earth Mom New Momma Bottom Spray
- Nipple Cream
- Nursing tank and leggings or a maxi skirt to wear home. I wore a night gown home!
- A few different home coming outfits in different sizes.
- Larger Muslin swaddle blankets- I find them so much easier than the small hospital receiving blankets to swaddle.
- Water Wipes- my hospital does not provide wipes, but does provide diapers.
- Socks and a hat for the ride home.
- Car seat (obviously)