Today is Veteran’s day, an all important day that we as Americans take to give thanks and honor those men and women who have and are currently bravely defending our great country. I can think of no group of people more deserving of our thanks.
I didn’t grow up in a military family, I knew my grandfathers both served in WWII and a couple uncles who had served in the past, but it was not a large part of my family history, like it will be for our future children.
However as I flipped through my Timehop app this morning I noticed that ever since high school I had taken the opportunity to thank the veterans in my life and those all around the country. Without them who knows where we would be today! And I am grateful that we do not have to find out.
Over the last couple years Veteran’s day has taken on a whole new meaning for me. I am now married to an active duty Army service member. I am so proud of him and his accomplishments. And yet he is so humble. He does not view his job as needing special thanks. And neither do most other soldiers I have met since marrying into the military. They do it because it’s the job they choose like being an accountant or lawyer or any other professional. If they were in it simply for recognition they would never make it through the rigorous training, demanding work schedule, and constantly being on call 24/7.
That is why I think they deserve even more honor and respect and especially our thanks even if it’s just once a year. These humble men and women may have to make the ultimate sacrifice for our safety, and freedom and they want nothing in return. But even so extend your hand and today thank a veteran in your life; even if they say they do not deserve it because they absolutely do!
When we began this crazy Army life, our plan was to go into the National Guard, stay in South Carolina and be there forever… 2 years later of course that is not where we ended up because, well Army. I went to Graduate school, got a degree in Marriage and Family Counseling, my husband opted out of the Guard and went Active Duty.
Here we are now at Fort Benning and we still can’t make a plan! Now if you are anything like me, this drives you CRAZY. I am the kind of person that has plan A through Z and then some. I love plans. I like knowing what is coming next and when its coming. So as a new Army Wife you can imagine how frustrating this can be! SO what is a person to do? Well here is what I have come up with!
1. Eat some chocolate, ice cream, peanut butter, a whole bag of potato chips. Whatever your guilty pleasure food is, eat it! And don’t feel guilty well all just need a little something to feel better sometimes.
2. Talk to your girlfriends, trust me they are feeling the same frustrations! That’s what Army Sister Wives are for! That is why finding community is so important
3. Remember, no matter how frustrated you get, your hubby has just as little control as you do! I the Army he isn’t in charge of what is happening in his career as far as where he goes and when he finds things out. So try try try your hardest not to blame him, because it is not his fault yall still don’t have orders!
4. Take a deep breath, you can do this, eventually the Army will give you the information you need to know to move forward!
5. Smile, because at least if you don’t know what is coming you get to wait around and worry with the one you love (even if they are not always right beside you. And no matter what, that is a Blessing!
So there you go. Don’t let it hinder you from doing things, go to school, have that family, plan that vacation, and get the first (or second) puppy because if you are always waiting for the perfect timing you will be waiting your entire army career.